Booking online Music Theory exams: step-by-step guide
A step-by-step guide covering everything from booking exams to receiving results.
- Create your account if you don’t have one already.
- Read the guidelines and system requirements available here.
- Do the system check here.
- Have all your candidate information ready:
- Name - as it should appear on the mark form and certificate. This must exactly match the name on any candidate ID document needed during the exam process. Find out about candidate ID.
- Date of birth
- ABRSM Contact ID – for candidates who have been entered before using our new online service.* Find out about Contact IDs.
- Any specific needs access requirements or reasonable adjustments
- Any alternative ‘presented by’ name
- Email address for the candidate (or parent/carer) – compulsory for online Music Theory exams. Find out why we ask for a candidate email address.
* For candidates in China, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan you will need their National ID number, not their ABRSM Contact ID.
- Log in and select ‘Public Venue & Digital Exams’
- Select your ‘territory’. We need this to send out certificates.
- Choose ‘Music Theory exams’.
- Choose ‘online’ for your assessment type.
- Enter your exam details. Include any access requirements or reasonable adjustments and confirm if the candidate needs a translation.
- Click ‘Enter candidate details’.
- Select your region if requested.
- Enter your candidate details.
- Check your booking summary and pay for your exams.
- We will send you can email to confirm your booking and payment.
Make sure all details are correct before confirming and paying for your exams.
- Exam confirmation - we will email applicants to confirm the exam has been booked. Candidates with an account will also receive an email.
- Candidate accounts – candidates without an ABRSM account will receive an email inviting them to set up an account. All candidates must have an account as the link to take the exam will only be available through their own account. The account can be set up by the parent/carer but must be in the candidate’s own name. Find out more about creating an account.
- Taking the exam – three hours after the booking has been made candidates will be able to launch the exam on their account dashboard by clicking ‘start Music Theory exam’. Candidates have 28 days after booking to take the exam.
- Cancelling an exam – applicants can cancel an exam through their account. If you cancel before the exam takes place and within 14 days of booking we refund the full fee. Find out about cancelling exams.
- Amending a booking - you can make some small changes after you’ve paid for the booking. Find out about amending candidate details.
- Results and certificates - we email applicants when results are ready to view online. This is usually around four weeks after the exam for online Music Theory exams, subject to quality assurance checks.
Candidates with an account will also receive a results email seven days after the applicant.
We send certificates to the applicant by post. Find out about results and certificates.
- Appeals and feedback – our policies and guidance for appealing results or sending feedback are available here.